Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Familia

Family…everyone has them. They are filled with kind hearted people, slackers, hard workers, alcoholics, hoarders, serial killers, freakshows, midgets, giants, young, old, genius, stupid, and the criminally insane.  Families are motley crews that can consist merely of a husband and wife or extend to great- great grandparents and thousands of first, second, and third cousins.  I was blessed/cursed with a giant family. This family of mine can make me the happiest girl in the world to the most frustrated.

I find that as I get older my aunts, uncles, cousins, etc… suddenly become real people. For the first time I am privy to their human flaws and my respect for them does not decrease but merely changes. I notice them fighting demons, disease, and each other, and I can only respect that they continue to get together time and time again to support each other in times of need regardless of the mistakes made or gossip uttered behind  turned backs.  My extended family will tear itself to shreds--mutilating any semblance of its once happy façade only to bring the shredded bloodied pieces together in one unionized front for a family member in need and seeing this dramatic transformation fills my heart with a sick pride that such a dysfunctional unit can simultaneously beat each other down and then bring each other up once again.

Sure, the small talk and the smiles are forced and the air is thick with unease…and yes some cousins haven’t uttered words to each other in years but have been in the same room multiple times, but these completely different people with no real interest in each other (other than of course a morbid curiosity) gather to form a unionized front.

It is oddly comforting that all of these people, the ones who love me and loathe me showed up for my wedding and will most likely show up for my funeral…only because we share a bit of DNA and a lot of respect.

Bravo Familia…

No comments:

Post a Comment